Program for computing seismic hazard

Ground Motion Characterization requirements of PEER TBI 2017

Ground Motion Characterization requirements of PEER TBI 2017

• Last Post 24 June 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
Kirk Aguel posted this 20 June 2018

Hi Admin,

I would like to ask if R-Crisis is capable to comply with the site specific PSHA as described in chapter 3 of the PEER TBi Guidelines 2017.

Here is the link of the guidelines and chapter 3 is specific to ground motion characterization

http://peer.berkeley.edu/news/2017/05/new-peer-report-201706-guidelines-for-performance-based-seismic-design-of-tall-buildings-version-2-0/

Any reply will be much appreciated.

thank you

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Kirk Aguel posted this 20 June 2018

I think this is the correct link

http://peer.berkeley.edu/tbi/

Content_Manager posted this 21 June 2018

Dear Kirk,

R-CRISIS was not developed based on a specific code or guideline, it is a software to compute seismic hazard both deterministic and probabilistic methodology. My purpose is not to describe in detail the techniques to compute seismic hazard; for that purpose, an excellent and updated summary can be found in Manuela Villani's Ph.D. Thesis (Villani, 2010).

In relation to requirements of the PEER TBI Guidelines 2017 (Chapter 3), maybe these comments are helpful:

1. R-CRISIS is capable to carry out Logic Tree calculations. You have to specify the logic tree branches and their respective weights.

2. We have added a wide range of attenuation models, about 55. Those models are added as they are published in the respective papers. In R-CRISIS documentation you can find all attenuation models references. It should be pointed out that we try to keep the attenuation models as updated as we can, hence, the number of models will continue increasing.

3. R-CRISIS is not capable to provide you fractiles of ground motion for certain hazard level. Attenuation models are expressed in terms of their median and standard deviation, hence, it is not possible to obtain fractiles requested PEER TBI Guidelines (i.e. 5%, 16%, 50%, 84%, 95%, equivalent to median plus or minus one and two standard deviations).

4. You are able to include site effects to your seismic hazard model. R-CRISIS allows you to include site effects through several ways, one of the most used is by means of Vs30 grid files, but you can take them into account by amplification factors grid as well. On the other hand, some attenuation models include amplification factors, for example, Vs30, Z1.0, soil classification, among others. It is important to clarify that those amplification factors are not implemented by us, they are own of each attenuation model and remember that models are included to R-CRISIS as they are published. For more information about this topic, you can look up this subject in the R-CRISIS Help Menu.

5. R-CRISIS is capable to compute disaggregation analysis for different return periods, structural periods and epsilon values. In addition, you can obtain disaggregation results for different scenarios through batch disaggregation tool. This topic is explained in detail in the Help Menu.

6. R-CRISIS can provide you seismic hazard results for both deterministic and probabilistic methodologies.

7. R-CRISIS does not neither perform near-fault sites adjustments nor account rupture directivity effects. They have to be performed by the analyst who is developing the model.

8. R-CRISIS is not enabled to calculate ground motion records. They have to be assessed by the analyst externally.

I hope these comments are helpful to you.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you require support at any else topic.

Thank you for your interest in R-CRISIS.

Reference of Villani (2010):

Villani, M. (2010). High resolution SHA in the vicinity of earthquake sources. Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori, Engineering Seismology. ROSE School. Doctor Degree.

Best regards,

Kirk Aguel posted this 22 June 2018

Thank you very much Sebastian,

R-crisis is such a worderfull free seismic hazard analysis program and I am learning it everyday now.

In general, almost 80% of the PEER TBI guidelines requirements can be done with R-crisis with some further processing needed i order to fully comply the specific requirements of PEER TBI.

Is there any possibility that those other requirements not in R-crisis can be incorporated in the future update?

Thank you very and best regards

Kirk

• Liked by
  • Content_Manager
Content_Manager posted this 22 June 2018

Dear Kirk,

In past versions of R-CRISIS we did not concern about to comply the PEER TBI guidelines requirements because in Mexico we have requirements a little bit different, however, it would be a very good idea to incorporate new features to comply PEER TBI guidelines requirements even though in Mexico is not mandatory. I will address your comment to Dr. Ordaz (R-CRISIS developer) and we will discuss these topics to further versions.

Thank you for your interest in R-CRISIS.

Best regards,

Kirk Aguel posted this 24 June 2018

That would be wonderful Sebastian if the specific requirements of PEER TBI Guidelines will be incorporated into R-Crisis in future update. Looking forward to it.

Again many thanks for your help explaining the capabilities of R-Crisis. Keep up the good work together with the development team.

• Liked by
  • Content_Manager
Close